I’m honoured to be mentioned in it.
28-Jun-2018 when Upland Software announced their acquisition of RO Innovation, they called it…
…the $400+ million annual sales enablement software market
… which is quoting Travis, T. (2017, September 6): Sales Enablement Platforms Expand the SalesTech Stack.
Obviously, there are many ways to define the boundaries of this market.
Here’s my definition of Sales Enablement.
The Gartner Report: Market Guide for Digital Content Management for Sales published 17-Nov-2017 sees…
…“Digital content management for sales (DCMS)” […] vendors […] “generate $423.5 million in revenue, up by approximately 16% from the previous year.”
Obviously, the Sales Engagement Platform market is different from the Sales Enablement Technology [or Sales Enablement Platform] market.
However, it is interesting to take Aragon’s numbers to see what growth rate they are assuming.
If they think that market can reach $5B by 2021 (which I question; unless they count some of Salesforce’s revenue) and if they assume a linear growth rate, then they are assuming a market growth rate of 59.12% a year.
If not assuming a linear growth rate, then their model might look something like this:
As you can see from the links further down below I’m trying to track both the growth & consolidation of this market.
Scott Brinker’s Marketing Technology Landscape Supergraphic grew again:
Scott actually wrote a post on this growth & consolidation entitled The paradox of simultaneous MarTech consolidation and expansion, illustrated
Whilst this blog just wants to show a complete picture of the market without rankings or recommendations, I have recently come across a couple of such perspectives:
Ignoring detailed revenue numbers for Salesforce, Hubspot, Adobe, Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, Velocify Inc… and Jive Software; here’s my current Sales Enablement market overview by revenue.
The first ones are not in order of revenue.
My total count is 186 vendors.
The revenue shown in the graph above (I took out Enhatch) is a lot more than the $400M from Travis, T. (6-Sep-2017): Sales Enablement Platforms Expand the SalesTech Stack.
I added some to account for the elephants in the software market and some for the very long ‘long tail’ of small vendors. Hence, you get to more than the $780M Aragon Research has for the so-called Sales Engagement Platform market. I know many companies consider their Microsoft SharePoint document repository as their Sales Enablement portal:
- meta (Metaverse, Workplace by Facebook, Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, etc) Workplace – marketed as Workplace from Facebook & formerly Workplace by Facebook: An online collaborative software tool developed by Meta Platforms)
- Salesforce (Slack, Salesforce CRM Content / Chatter / Einstein / AppExchange / Trailhead / ‘Sales Cloud’ files & libraries / Slack / LevelJump formerly known as Lurniture)
- Google Cloud Platform (G Suite / Drive / Docs / Sheets / Slides / Keep / Forms / Sites)
- SAP (Callidus / iCentera / Litmos, LMS, Emarsys, Signavio) CRM, CPQ, CLM, Marketing Automation, …
- Hubspot (Kemvi)
- DemandScience (PureB2B, Klarity, Internal Results, Leadiro, Tidings, BIOMES, Airborne App Airborneapp airborneapp.io @Airborneapp_io)
- Adobe Systems (Marketo + ToutApp + Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, now part of Adobe Experience Manager Mobile)
- Microsoft (metaverse, Microsoft Office, Office Delve, Teams, SharePoint, Dynamics, Yammer, LinkedIn, LinkedIn Learning, etc…)
- IBM (IBM Smarter Workforce former
kenexa.com+ Vivisimo Velocity Platform = IBM InfoSphere Data Explorer)
- Oracle (Oracle CPQ Cloud former BigMachines Inc + InQuira)
- Velocify Inc. ($50M in revenue annually; competes with SalesHood)
- Jive Software (used to have $203.5M in revenue annually, now $38M?)
- ServiceNow, Inc. (Attivio, Loom Systems, Passage AI, Sweagle, Montrêal-based Element AI)
This blog turns 13 years old in 2022. See the archive going back all the way to 2009.
I’m always looking for new ways to show the entire market size and the percentage breakdown of all the market players.
I see the market at $8bn USD in annual revenue in 2022, but only if counting some of the revenue of the really large players in software that bought out smaller Sales Enablement players or those big players who offer free/freemium tools that could be used for Sales Enablement.
Here are my complete lists:
- table with over 725 line items to export/download yourself
- Global list / companies worldwide
- European list / Europe based companies
- Canadian list / Canada based companies
- Australian list / Australia based companies
- New Zealand based companies
- Vendors from the Nordics
- India based (or development in India)
- Sales Enablement market deathwatch
- DIY (Do It Yourself) and b2c tools
- Sales Enablement tools powered by AI